Organization Therapy

I have had a difficult time composing a post today.  My week has been unbalanced, if not completely chaotic.  My schedule, including my sleep, has been all out of whack.  And I have generally felt “out of it.”

As I sat down to the computer, my thoughts were all over the place.  Then it occurred to me to write about what I am doing to combat my scatterbrained condition this week.  Because I wasn’t being productive in ways that I wanted to be, I decided to tackle the problem by addressing my feelings of disorganization.  The best way for me to do this is to organize things.

I cleaned out my wallet, being sure I had recorded any receipts I found in Quicken.  Then I worked on my inbox (which I have to admit is atrocious).  I hit unsubscribe on a few of the auto-responder emails I get but don’t really read.  Then I dealt with the important email messages from the past few days, and I trashed all the junk mail for the past few weeks.  When I was tired of dealing with the mental clutter of money and paper, I moved to the fridge.

I have been working on losing weight, and I have been stuck.  I had the thought that I should quit trying so hard.  I have been exercising an hour or more per day.  This may not sound like such a big deal but it’s pretty significant considering I have only been able to walk since mid-January.  Today I decided I would declutter the refrigerator as a way of clearing some of the negative energy around the whole weight loss thing.

I threw out all the leftovers (especially the fuzzy ones).  I checked expiration dates on everything and tossed all the old stuff.  Then I went shopping and bought the ingredients for Gazpacho (one of my dad’s favorites, that I still make on Father’s Day even though he’s gone), and all the things I love and are good for me.  My focus was on being inclusive rather than on depriving myself.

I completed a task that didn’t need to be completed until next Thursday… just in case next week is like this one.  I took my time, did it with excellence, and double checked my work.  Yes, I neglected some other things to get it done, but it was one of those “important” things that I did not want to become “urgent” later.

Toward the end of the day, someone else did something that interfered with my schedule (to the tune of about 2 1/2 hours).  At first I was quite perturbed, but because I had accomplished so many other things today, things worked out just fine.  It will probably take me the rest of the weekend to get back on track.  And that’s okay.  For now, I am going to get a good night’s sleep (I hope).

Leave a Reply